A leather jacket never fails to accentuate your style statement. But if your precious leather jacket has lost its shine, then you may look like an eyesore instead. If you seek to make heads turn at the next dinner party, then all that you need to do is clean your beautiful leather jacket. You do not have to shell out a fortune to buy a new leather jacket. Instead, you can simply wipe, clean, and condition your old leather jackets and make them shine like brand new. Cleaning leather jackets can be tricky. The slightest exposure to water can ruin the leather jacket. If you are not feeling sure about cleaning your leather jacket at home, then you may avail of the leather jacket cleaning service offered by Hello Laundry. Hello Laundry offers the best and most affordable laundry and dry-cleaning services in London. However, if you would rather clean your leather jackets at home, then you are at the right place. Read on to know more about cleaning and conditioning leather jackets like an expert at home.
Efficient ways of cleaning leather jackets
- Clean the leather jacket using a leather cleaner
A leather cleaner is highly effective against tough stains. On the other hand, a leather conditioner is ideal for restoring shine to a leather jacket. Invest in a leather conditioner and a leather cleaner of high quality and then follow the steps below to clean your leather jacket:
- Spread out the leather jacket on an even surface. Locate the stains and dirty patches on the leather jacket and focus on these areas for cleaning the leather jacket.
- Squeeze out a small amount of leather cleaner in your hand. Apply the cleaner to the stains and dirty regions of the jacket with gentle rubbing. Stop rubbing the jacket when the stains and dirty patches disappear.
- Now take a clean and soft microfiber towel and soak the end of it with the leather cleaner. Rub the leather jacket with the soaked microfiber towel. Use gentle strokes and wipe the jacket in a circular motion until the jacket absorbs the leather cleaner.
- You may find traces of leather cleaner on the jacket after the jacket has become clean. Take a fresh and clean microfiber towel and wipe off the traces of leather cleaner from the jacket. Make sure that the leather jacket is completely clean now.
- Air dry the leather jacket. Do not expose it directly to the Sun as the heat might cause damage to the sensitive fibres of the leather jacket.
- Clean the leather jacket using a leather conditioner
Replenish the natural oils of the leather jacket using a leather conditioner. Use a leather conditioner on the leather jacket only after cleaning the jacket with a leather cleaner. Conditioning the jacket helps in maintaining its softness and also prevents cracking and drying of the jacket. Condition your leather jacket regularly to prevent stains. Follow the steps below to condition the leather jacket:
- Purchase a leather conditioner from your local store. However, you may also use natural ingredients to condition your leather jacket. Mix linseed oil and plain white vinegar in a ratio of 2:1 in a glass dish. Your natural leather conditioner is now ready for use.
- Apply the leather conditioner all over the jacket. Let the jacket absorb the conditioner for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now use a fresh and clean microfiber towel to wipe the leather jacket. Polish the leather jacket for about 20 minutes. Your leather jacket will glow and shine like new after the conditioning treatment.
- Clean the leather jacket with soap and water
Cleaning the leather jacket with soapy water is a tad bit risky. Exposure to excess water can disfigure the leather jacket and make it shrink. Using a leather cleaner followed by a leather conditioner is safer when it comes to cleaning a leather jacket. However, if you prefer using water, then you may follow the steps below to clean your lovely leather jacket:
- Mix a few drops of liquid detergent soap with a bucket of lukewarm water to prepare a soapy solution.
- Dip a soft and clean microfiber towel in the soapy solution. Wring out the excess water.
- Wipe the leather jacket with a moist towel. Focus on the regions of stains and dirt build-ups. Wipe the leather jacket with a clean towel to make sure that there are no traces of soapy solution lingering on the jacket.
Clean your leather jacket and other leather garments regularly to maintain the shine and colour of the jacket. If you are not feeling confident about cleaning your leather jacket at home, then opt for a leather jacket cleaning service available all across London. Cleaning and conditioning your leather apparel not only helps in preserving the quality of the leather jacket but also beats bad odours and makes you look great.